Lutwyche Dental Practices Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry is an important aspect of maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
Early intervention can go a long way in maintaining your natural set of teeth for life. Preventing tooth decay is the most effective preventive method for avoiding further complications and the need for expensive and complex procedures.
Maintaining a good oral health routine
Maintaining a clean and healthy mouth is the most effective method to prevent tooth decay and prevent periodontal disease. Practicing an effective daily dental routine that adequately cleans the teeth and gums is a simple, effective way of maintaining good hygiene.
- Brush – Ensure careful brushing of the teeth after every meal, with fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Rinse – Rinse the mouth thoroughly after each meal with water and mouth wash, if possible. Rinse well especially after drinking sugary drinks, tea and coffee, with water.
- Floss – Floss between the teeth every single day. If you have wider gaps between your teeth, interdental brushes are a more effective way of adequately cleaning between the teeth.
Practice this good brushing technique to ensure adequate cleaning of each and every tooth
- Ensure you clean each and every tooth individually
- Place your brush at a 45-degree angle to the point at which the tooth meets the gum line
- Apply gentle pressure as you move the brush back and forth in a circular motion
- Brush each tooth for about 10 seconds
- Don’t forget to brush the tongue to remove bacteria build-ups and to freshen the breath
- Use the same brushing action on all outer and inner tooth surfaces, tilting the brush as needed to better reach the insides of the front teeth.
Maintain a good healthy diet:
Avoid foods and drinks that are high in sugar and very acidic, like lollies, chips, chocolate, processed foods, soft drinks and fruit juice
Drink plenty of water
Eat lots of crunchy vegetables
Eat a well-balanced diet that’s as fresh as possible
Regular check-ups for early intervention
Maintain regular check-ups with your dentist so that any problems with the teeth and gums can be caught early and treated. This will mean fewer problems going forward and will avoid the need for expensive and complicated procedures.
Know the signs of decay
Don’t ignore symptoms like toothaches and sensitivity. If you notice something unusual, see your dentist. Be on the look-out for black, brown or grey spots on the teeth, persistent bad breath, red, inflamed or bleeding gums, and the sensation of loose teeth.
Are you looking for a Brisbane dentist for your next check-up?
At Lutwyche Dental we practice blame-free dentistry so you can feel relaxed during your dental appointments.